Monday, September 7, 2009

INTJ Personality Type








INTJ: Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging



My personality type: INTJ, a rational, and "the mastermind"
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/myers-briggs/functionattitudes/intj.jpg



Finding out I had the same personality type as Gandalf was an interesting experience.


To be honest, I never really took much stock in personality tests. I've always prided myself on knowing who I am: what I like, how I work, what I want to be. I thought taking the test would only tell me something that I already knew. Reading through the descriptions and truly understanding my "type," however, was a beneficial and enlightening exercise.


As an introvert...

Belle, a fellow introvert, and someone else who shares my love of reading--and Disney!
houseofsecrets/2098499251/
Introversion has always been a personality trait that I have battled with. When I was little I wanted to be the girl who could walk up to anyone at my neighborhood's playground and play a fantastic game of tag but that never came easily. Instead I played with my imaginary parrot, Cinderella, who lived at the top of the playground's wooden fort. (Which wasn't really as pathetic as I now realize that sounds!) Over the years, however, I've not only become less shy but have come to see introversion through different terms: alone time is great--and necessary--and just because I'm introverted does not mean I can't love spending time with people and having a lot of fun.

It was interesting to discover the impact introversion has on my learning and writing styles.

Introverts tend to "wait[and] don't volunteer as easily," preferring to "think
things through" and then speak. (Course anthology, 140) This is definitely true. Every time a discussion question is posed my mind enthusiastically races with ideas and thoughts: "well considering that...," and "if I wanted to think of it this way...'" and "is that idea too close to what she just said??" until ultimately...the opportunity has passed! There is still something I wish I would have said in my British Studies seminar! I will try to voice my "inner dialogues" in our class discussions.

Nothing is more applicable at present then the following trait of the introverted writer, "introverts may become blocked when they cannot see where the paper is going." (Course anthology, 149) I am very critical of my writing, (in addition to all these traits I am an utter perfectionist!) and any time that I cannot readily perceive the ending to a sentence, idea or paragraph, I leave a blazing trail of temporary "XXXX's." (This discussion board entry was littered with them.) While this process impedes speedy writing, it allows me to focus on strengthening what I am most comfortable with first.

When you just...know: Intuitive Writing and Learning

I have always been interested in learning more about the the intuitive instincts of animals versus their cognitive understandings.


I'm still not sure I am clear as to what "intuitive" means as a personality type, but I truly identified with the intuitive writing and learning styles. I usually tend to "present generalities," (Course anthology, 151) in my essays, assuming that the audience will "catch my drift." Like in my essay last week, for example, when I, well...you get the general idea, right? I think my new found love of highlighting will help diminish this tendency by emphasizing specific parts of my readings.

The learning styles of intuition are even more appropriate. I find it very hard to work "without being inspired" and need to work with "bursts of energy." (Course anthology, 138) I can attribute my "on" and "off" writing days to this fact. I've created a "Classy Study Tunes" playlist of classical music on my iTunes to try and focus my energy! (It's so hard to focus when there are good songs to sing to!) I also am very "language oriented" and tend to "out-think" assignments. (Course anthology, 138)


"Think, Think, Think"


I love thinking! In high school, though, it seemed like it was too easy to get caught up in the "now" to think about what was truly important. It seems like Plan II will change that!

uncategorized/rodin_thinker.jpg

I used to love writing short stories when I was little. I have a whole journal full of cheesy mystery spoofs of Scooby Doo and Encyclopedia Brown--remember him? Now, however, I find it easier to write logical arguments, or papers. This fits in line with the thinking writer, one who tends to "excel at writing logically, objectively, and analytically." (Course anthology, 152) It is easiest for me to rationalize a thought and follow methodically with points and, maybe I guess, some examples.

I also enjoyed reading about the thinking learning styles. While I like study groups and have found them useful, I definitely do my best work alone. I am also very critical and need to "master subjects." (Course anthology, 139) Finally, I love arguing, and I definitely don't take arguments seriously. My mom says that's one reason I'd have fun being a lawyer! We'll have to see about that, although environmental law does sound appealing...


Judging


Hopefully, I'm not as judgemental as this picture suggests!

I didn't agree wholeheartedly with the assessment of judging writers. I do divide my papers into sections "so that [they] can be written more easily." (Course anthology, 154) (I wrote this paper, in fact, entirely out of order.) I don't however, begin writing before I have "collected enough information." (Course anthology, 154) I have the opposite problem in fact. I tend to over think and plan my essays so much that I have exhausted my topic.


I found even less to relate to with the learning styles. I "don't like surprises" with my grades (Course anthology, 140), and a schedule is somewhat important to my learning, but I didn't agree with much else. A "need for closure" will not make me finish too soon (Course anthology, 140)--I tend to belabor my assignments!


Instructor/Class Typology

It was interesting to read the opening sentence of the INTJ description: "INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know." (Course anthology, 145) Deep, right? It echoed something I feel about myself and that I said earlier: I know myself. This isn't to say that I am my perfect person, just that I understand, for the most part, who I am. I am me, and the only thing that really changes about me around others is how loud I'll get!


I was conflicted upon reading the teaching method, however, which prescribes the "most direct and concise manner" (Course anthology, 145) of teaching. I really do need to be explained things in a direct and rational way, but this seems to point to pure lecture. I have always learned best through hands-on experience and "outside of class" activities, something I am very excited about with this class!


3 Hours Later...


Wow, has it really been 3 hours since I started this thing?? This must say something about my personality or, at the very least, that "dreaded companion" perfectionism. (<-- accidentally made a World Lit pun there!) In any regard, this exercise turned out to be a very important one. By defining and understanding my academic traits, I'll be able to put them to good use and watch out for any pitfalls!


Katherine




No comments:

Post a Comment