Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent and Compassion






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0TG4hnNRs
What is Lent? By the Archbishop of Canterbury who looks like Bump. (Kinda?)




I’m glad that this DB topic came about during Lent because I’ve really needed to make a better Lenten promise. Usually I give up as much as I can for Lent: candy, sweets, Coke, every kind of food really that isn’t bland or necessary. I piled it all up as the weeks progressed, and people used to be impressed. But I never have been really because I know deep down that it’s all primarily false. Let me let you in on a little secret...I don’t even have a sweet tooth! I mean, I like candy, but it’s not a big deal to have to give it up for a little over a month. Each year I try to think of something positive to do or something really hard to give up for Lent, but I never get there. I think it’s selfishness or the mistaken belief that for the most part I’ve got everything down right.
I remember one year when I was very little, lying down on the couch in the TV room, holding onto my ripped-to-shreds blanket like I always did and whispering softly to my mom, “Mom, I think I’m going to give up Blankie for Lent.” By that point I had tears in my eyes, the idea of leaving my blankie for a month too much to bear. My mom told me that I couldn’t possible give up my blankie, that she was good for me and I settled down and gave up something else, undoubtedly sweets. While my understanding of Lent was a little skewed at that point, I wish I could be like that today! If Jesus could give so completely that he gave his entire self, saying “This is my body which is given for you.” (Anthology 132), why is it so hard for me to try to do something a little difficult? I should live Lent with the complete “remembrance of [Him]” instead. (Anthology 132) But what can I really do?




I wish I still had the ability to give up "the Blankies" of my life today.





Ash Wednesday service and the period of Lent are some of my favorite Christian concepts. I think the idea is so beautiful. I love the idea of so many people trying to better themselves at once, with sacrifice and the greater good in mind. What I don’t love is that people complete their “tasks” with the end of Lent in mind. I know I’m like that: the second Easter started I dove into my Easter basket and ordered Coke after Coke in restaurants. (Usually realizing that I didn’t like any of that “stuff” anymore.) I read in my cultural anthropology textbook (and I’m going to paraphrase) that the imagery of Christ and God changes over time to fit the cultures of the people. When we were primarily rural pastoralists, we knew Christ as the Lamb of God, when we were peasants and serfs, he was the “King” and now we may think of him as the accountant, tabulating our moral gains and losses with black and red ink. While it’s important to be aware of right and wrong, we shouldn’t live life trying to “stay out of debt,” so to speak. We should act with compassion throughout all of our daily actions. Jesus was often met with people in need of compassion: his good works weren’t scheduled into His day but came to Him naturally and He responded invariably to come to their aid. “When the Lord saw [the mother of a dead son] he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not.” (Anthology 130) As I said in my P3 (and I’m surprised once again to see the same issues continually popping up), we should act with a compassionate impulse and respond to those we encounter as Christ would do—without a schedule and with the love of charity and compassion in our hearts.
So with that in mind, I’m going to try to reestablish my Lenten goals. No candy, sweets or Coke (even though I’m eyeing some Sour Patch Straws my mom just sent me this week!) Then, because I’m having a hard time thinking seriously about this because I’m so tired, I will try to treat my body better. Eight hours of sleep a day. Exercise. Getting at least 36 grams of protein a day. Giving myself time to relax and compose myself at least once a day. I will complete most of my work alone in my room so I can do them quickly and to the best of my ability. And no going on stupid websites like awkwardfamilyphotos.com so I can make much better use of my time! (That one’s actually going to be pretty tricky.) That set of promises may not seem like a sacrifice, but I’ve realized that I can’t operate the way I want to and often have much less “room” for others when I’m tired. Finally, and I’m still not clear how to do this, but I just want to practice compassion—intensely—for at least part of the day everyday. Vegetarianism can be one such practice. After all, as Webb argues the Church even recognizes that “eating meat was not an appropriate way of remembering the vivid and brutal death of Jesus.” (Anthology 135) I will try to drop everything I’m doing and thinking of at least once a day to help somebody else, whether that is with homework, doing favors or just lending them an ear. I’m not sure how I want to achieve this ‘total compassion’ routine, but I hope that by at least being open and conscious of the role of compassion in my life and others’ I will be able to make a difference in the lives of those around me. At least for 40 days.

Minus the sarcasm which I think this shirt is trying to have, this will be my Lenten promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment